In the 17th Century Robert Wynne married Margaret Price, the Garthewin heiress. The current owner acquired the estate from the Wynne family in 1996.
Garthewin retains much of the original house and features a three-storey, pedimented, nine-bay entrance front of 1772. Later work by the celebrated designer Clough Williams Ellis includes the Italian style tower with the round and arched windows.
There is a fine valley setting within parkland. The eight acre garden is in the National Garden Scheme with ponds, rhododendrons and azaleas and a wide variety of trees.
Wynne was a Royalist commander in the Civil War, but could trace his ancestry back to the 9th century leader Marchudd ap Cynon, who founded the eighth of the Noble Tribes of Wales. Around 1710 Dr Robert Wynne, Chancellor of St Asaph, rebuilt the 17th century house.
There are several historic listed buildings on the site. The Garthewin house itself is listed Grade II, and just west of the house is a Grade II listed chapel, with listed outbuildings, and The Book Room house on the main drive to Garthewin is also listed Grade II.
The Stables were probably completed in the 18th Century and the theatre at the rear was of great importance locally during the 20’s – 40’s.
To one side of the Hall is the Coach House which has been extended, many of the original doorways can be seen within the stone work.
Behind the Hall and in line with the stables is the 19th Century laundry building, extended in the 50’s this is now referred to as the Farm House.
Please note all of the property on the estate is in use, unless personally invited please do not enter the houses.